Criminal Justice News
Here you can find news stories about important issues in justice reform and articles calling for positive improvements to the criminal and juvenile justice systems. Check back regularly for new articles and email us to suggest an item to be included on the page.
1–25 of 304 items | Next »
Statement on Governor Hogan’s announcement of closing Baltimore jail
- Justice Policy Institute, Jul 30, 2015
- Statement on Governor Hogan’s announcement of closing Baltimore jail
How to Stop Jail Suicides
- Kriston Capps, Jul 27, 2015
- Sandra Bland’s death was preventable on multiple levels. A jail architect explains how design failed her nearly as badly as the police.
President Obama Spends Day in Federal Prison... Houston Leaders Bring Attention to Texas
- Jerry Ford II, Jul 22, 2015
- President Barack Obama surprised many last week by making an appearance in a place where no president has appeared before - a federal penitentiary.
America’s Lockup Complex
- Robert Hunziker, Jul 20, 2015
- Year-over-year, America sets new prison records. No other nation on Earth comes close to America’s “lock’em up” ethos.
Big business built the prison state. Why should we trust them to tear it down?
- William Anderson, Jul 17, 2015
- The Koch brothers have connections to lobbying groups that harmed inmates, yet they are becoming vocal advocates for prison reform.
A national agenda for criminal justice reform: Not just second chances, but a rational first response
- Marc Schindler, Jul 16, 2015
- During a powerful speech to the NAACP convention on Tuesday, President Obama outlined sweeping reforms to ensure our justice system is more fair and effective.
A Much-Needed Alternative to Youth Prisons
- Shaena Fazal, Jul 15, 2015
- Shaena Fazal and Jeff Fleischer of Youth Advocate Programs comment on Patrick McCarthy's ideas about closing youth prisons.
Prisons, Community Corrections, Rehabilitation and Re-integration
- Doug McVay featuring Jason Ziedenberg, Jul 15, 2015
- JPI's Jason Ziedenberg discusses prisons, community corrections, and rehabilitation and re-integration of formerly incarcerated people.
Criminal Justice Experts: Bail System Needs More Than Reform, It Needs to Be Scrapped
- Terrell Jermaine Starr, Jul 14, 2015
- Unless we deal with the issue of police interactions, the bail system and everything else is just a bunch of bandaids.
Schapiro: Which side will benefit from parole gambit?
- Jeff Schapiro, Jul 14, 2015
- Republicans want to make this a debate about safe streets. Perhaps McAuliffe, the self-styled Jobs Governor, can make it about economic opportunity.
Problems With Parole In America
- featuring Beth Schwartzapfel, Amanda Petteruti, Nicole Porter, Jul 13, 2015
- Criminal justice reform experts discuss problems with parole in America on the Kojo show.
The Dark Realities Of Being A Minor in Prison
- Nancy Redd, Jul 2, 2015
- Marc Schindler, JPI's executive director, discusses the realities of being a minor in prison on HuffPost Live.
Ex-convicts struggle to find work in Baltimore
- Noel King, Jun 25, 2015
- A Marketplace analysis found the unemployment rate in Sandtown-Winchester is 22 percent.
Rethink incarceration in Virginia
- Amanda Petteruti, Jun 25, 2015
- Amanda Petteruti, Justice Policy Institute's senior research associate, wrote a letter to the editor in response to a Washington Post article entitled “ Va. to revisit parole option .”
The Left's Latest Big Money Target: For-Profit Prisons
- Millie Dent, Jun 25, 2015
- Columbia has just become the first university in the U.S. to divest from private prison companies.
THE TIME IS NOW TO RAISE THE AGE OF CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Jun 15, 2015
- AN OPEN LETTER TO GOVERNOR ANDREW CUOMO AND THE NEW YORK STATE LEGISLATURE:
Watch John Oliver explain why the US bail system is terrible
- Sonali Kohli, Jun 8, 2015
- John Oliver's latest target is the US bail system that hurts low-income defendants while allowing the wealthy to pay their way to freedom.
Bringing an End to the Incarceration Generation
- Marc Schindler, Jun 1, 2015
- The good news is that more today is known than ever before about what works and doesn't work to address offending and promote safety....
New Prison Reform Law Creates 'Momentum,' But Limitations Could Lessen Impact
- Kate Carlton Greer, Jun 1, 2015
- New legislation would give Oklahoma’s judges more discretion in sentencing certain nonviolent offenders.
The Biggest Mystery Of Baltimore’s Riots
- Adam Serwer (BuzzFeed Ideas), May 28, 2015
- How did a city where blacks are well-represented among the city government and police erupt in riots not seen since Martin Luther King Jr. was killed?
Want to reduce mass incarceration? Do no harm and invest in people and communities
- Nancy G. La Vigne, Ryan King, and Jocelyn Fontaine, May 28, 2015
- Within the last year, “mass incarceration” has become a buzzword...
British Politician Has a Harsh Message for the Police — and America Needs to Pay Attention
- Zak Cheney-Rice, May 21, 2015
- The U.K.'s exceedingly logical approach is in stark contrast to prevailing attitudes in the United States...
Activists say Jay Z and Beyonce quietly bailed out Baltimore and Ferguson protesters
- Sonali Kohli (Quartz), May 19, 2015
- The notion that a celebrity couple would need to contribute vast sums to fund bail for protestors highlights a problem in how the US detains its citizens.
Bail system creates another hurdle for poor defendants, including recent protestors
- Karen Houppert (Baltimore City Paper), May 19, 2015
- Bail in Baltimore is a weird thing—and complicated, but it’s worth understanding because it matters.
Investing in jobs and schools in Sandtown is a better solution than filling jail cells
- Mark Grovic & Marc Schindler (Baltimore Business Journal), May 15, 2015
- What is the right investment in public safety in Sandtown, and how can we unlock resources to build stronger, safer neighborhoods?
1–25 of 304 items | Next »